Monday, August 29, 2011

You got that song stuck in my head! #GBE2

One of the things that sometimes happens to me, as I'm sure it does with many of you, is that a word, a snippet of music, something someone says, even a random noise will cause a certain song to burst to the forefront of my brain and get stuck there. Once there, it is often very difficult to dislodge that song. For me, a part of the song or even a whole song will seem to be playing on a little miniature speaker inside my head. Or perhaps a better analogy is that the song is broadcasting directly into my brain without the need of my ears.

This weekend the catalyst was my blogging group, GBE2, where the topic of the week was the word "longing." Almost immediately, the song "Constant Craving" by KD Laing came into my mind. And now it has been there, playing in my brain, and has been for two days. Every time I think about blogging this week, the song plays in my head again. It also has been playing intermittently at other times as well.

Now, there's no mystery why that particular song came to mind. It's one of those songs that perfectly captures the mood and emotion of the word "longing". I love it when a song can do that, just transport you right inside of a feeling. I don't know what or who she was thinking about, but whoever it was, she was longing for them desperately, perhaps for a lengthy period of time.

Of course none of this explains the working of the brain and why it will doggedly hold onto one song to the exclusion of others for so long. It seems like you ought to be able to dislodge it by playing other music, but it doesn't work when you try it. The song keeps creeping back once you have a quiet moment. In this case I don't mind.

6 comments:

Jo said...

I have been 'hearing' Time in a Bottle for days now! I was also blaming the topic, but I think I just like that song! LOL Good to know it happens to you, too!

Christina said...

Love that song. And now it's stuck in my head too. Thanks. ;)

Unknown said...

that's one of my favorite kd lang songs!


GBE2: Longing

Laura Rogers said...

What a great tune. Love your GBE2 look at longing.

Anonymous said...

Nicely done and you're right, once a song comes to mind, it can rock around in your head all day long. Now I'm going to do something a little bit mean.

Three words: Achy Breaky Heart

Sorry. *giggles*

Jenn said...

I love this--okay the song that came in my head when I heard the topic--was not the one I used on my blog--but Adele's Someone Like You. Yes...it is so stuck on my brain I go around the house singing it --even if I am a little off key :)

Cheers, Jenn
http://www.wine-n-chat.com/2011/09/longing.html