Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Kyle's All Time Favorite Songs Ipod Playlist

I decided to give you a little commentary on each of these songs after I figured out how to copy the list from Itunes over here.

- Rain When I Die, Alice In Chains: Captures almost the full range of Layne Staley's voice. I call this the "height of their powers"
- Ain't No Sunshine, Bill Withers: A mood song that perfectly reflects the loneliness when you're away from the one you love
- More Than a Feeling, Boston: a perfectly rockin' song with heart
- The Story, Brandi Carlile: one of the most raw, emotional performances I've ever heard
- Seasons, Chris Cornell: I love the conversion of grunge into acoustic and the beauty of Chris Cornell's voice. My #1 all time favorite song
- Clocks, Coldplay: a song of epic proportions. Goes for everything and has that catchy piano hook you can't forget
- Sunshine of Your Love, Cream: Another "height of their powers song" from a fantastic band that didn't last long enough
- Dim, Dada: Super opening riff combined with gritty lyrics
- Layla, Derek, Eric Clapton & The Dominos: Was he in love with this woman? Pine for her? Horribly? There can be no doubt.
- The Boys of Summer, Don Henley: A perfectly crafted song that caught the essence of the era, but was completely original to this artist.
- Daniel, Elton John: Tugs at those heartstrings. Wonderfully written and suited perfectly to Elton's voice.
- Lay Down Sally, Eric Clapton: Makes me want to jump and dance
- Take a Picture, Filter: The imagery of this song, combined with the raw emotions in parts keep me coming back
- Everlong, Foo Fighters: A symphony of rock, every note is where it should be, which makes it significantly different from other songs of its genre
- Juke Box Hero, Foreigner: The perfect expression of every young rocker's story
- On Broadway, George Benson: This guy is extraordinary, his voice, his guitar and his performance sensibilities. I love what he does.
- Midnight Train To Georgia, Gladys Knight & The Pips: I love a deep female voice belting it out, Gladys is a treasure.
- Better Days, The Goo Goo Dolls: A song whose lyrical depth I think most people miss.
- Good Man, India.Arie: Father goes away to war and is killed. What happens to those left behind? They celebrate him and his life. A beautiful sentiment.
- We're Going To Be Friends, Jack Johnson: You can't help picture your own children or your childhood and smile or chuckle
- Flood, Jars of Clay: A religious song with a message we can all appreciate, put together beautifully.
- I Got A Name, Jim Croce: Has one of my favorite song lines of all time, "And I carry it with me like my daddy did, but I'm living the dream that he kept hid".
- Why Georgia, John Mayer: The imagery, the guitar, thoughts of the road and love lost.
- A Boy Named Sue, Johnny Cash: I absolutely love the sounds of the prisoners reacting to this song as they hear it for the first time. A classic of lyrical cleverness (thank you Shel Silverstein!)
- Lithium, Nirvana: That deep guitar riff is a Cobain trademark. A song that rocks, quietly but surely
- Try A Little Tenderness, Otis Redding: I can't hear this song without thinking of Otis' performance at Monterey Pop Festival where he wowed the hippies with his enthusiasm and gruffly beautiful voice.
- Slip Slidin' Away, Paul Simon: A childhood favorite of mine that I've been able to pass along to my own children.
- Solsbury Hill, Peter Gabriel: childhood drama and confusion with unforgettable melody and memorable hook
- Major Tom, Peter Schilling: Love the idea of the sequel song, in this case well crafted and fitted to its era. The rising "coming home" at the end always delivers for me.
- Can't Stand Losing You, The Police: Love the originality of the early Police songs, and hits on a consistent theme for Sting - haplessly lost love
- The Ghost In You, The Psychedelic Furs: memorable hook mixed with husky vocals
Bring it On Home to Me, Sam Cooke: If you don't believe in soul, listen to this song
- Julie Paradise, Screaming Trees: the gravelly voice mixed with the big grunge sound of Screaming Trees. I love this song but could recommend several others.
- Strong Enough, Sheryl Crow: vulnerability laid bare
- Little Wing, Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble: greatest instrumental performance ever. He may not have written this song, but Stevie mastered it
- Last Nite, The Strokes: my newest favorite band. I love a gravelly voice that still fits the music and the Strokes deliver the beat to match.
- Doin' Time, Sublime: Ah, don't you miss them? They could have been soooo great. Totally original, but with in a way that's accessible.
- Wild Horses, The Sundays: beautiful and haunting. An unexpected take on a very different song
- Hunger Strike, Temple of the Dog: A mixture of selflessness and starpower as two of the greatest voices in grunge got together to complement each other.
- In God's Country, U2: a song that could have been written for a patriotic collection of the United States - by Irishmen.
- Bad, U2: a crescendo of emotion that must be experienced, not just listened to.
- (This Song's Just) Six Words Long, Weird Al Yankovic: matched exactly with my criticism of the song it parodied
- Pinball Wizard, The Who: Pete Townshend's sense of how to make individual notes count is uncanny

No comments: